Comments Welcome--here are the rules

Comments will not contain profanity or symbols within words which anyone can figure out what profane word you're talking about. If I can't edit out your profanity, then your comment will be deleted. Racially derogatory statements and statements of hate will also be deleted. No advertising is allowed at this time. If you disagree with my comments, then respectfully provide your input. I won't be calling you unflattering names and I expect the same respect from you.



Sincerely,

Mark Hughes

Monday, February 21, 2011

What has happened to Muskogee's "family friendly" newspaper?

Warning:  This blog contains adult material. 
I avoid using sexually explicit words in my blogs because I want to keep them as "family friendly" as I can. However, the Muskogee Phoenix published a letter to the editor in Sunday's paper, Feb. 20 from Mr. Larry Parsons of Warner, Okla.  If you are a regular reader of the Phoenix's editorial page you will understand that Mr. Parson's is admittantly opposed to the Republican Party and the recently established Tea Party and is unabashadedly a firm supporter of the Democratic Party.  Fine. That's his Constitutional right. But his "right"
to use sexually explicit terms seven times in his letter to the editor to describe the Tea Party doesn't pass the "community smell" test--and the editor of the Muskogee Phoenix knows better.

Before I continue, let me state right now that I am registered as a Republican, support the Tea Party in their effort to reduce taxes, reduce the intrusiveness of government control of our daily lives and business, and also support a smaller (not weaker) federal government.  Now that I've cleared the air . . .

As much as I oppose Mr. Larry Warner's far left ideology (as he would say of my Republican beliefs), I support Mr. Warner's right to "rail" against the "evils of the Republican Party and the newly "established" Tea Party.

However, when Mr. Larry Warner's letter to the editor in today's paper uses the term "tea baggers" and "baggers" seven times referring to members of the Republican party and to Tea Party leaders, the Phoenix editor had an obligation to step in and else edit the letter to meet the family values of the Phoenix or reject the letter and ask Mr. Parsons to rewrite without the sexual inuendo. (This is what I was taught during journalism classes at Northeastern State University [NSU] where I obtained my undergraduate degree in journalism/education in 1976.  At that time NSU was Northeastern  State College.)

(WARNING:  SEXUALLY EXPLICIT MATERIAL FOLLOWS)

To make sure everyone knows how vile and offensive the word "tea bagger" is, here's the definition from Wikipedia:  Tea bag is a slang term for the act of a man placing his scrotum in the mouth of a sexual partner.  This practice resembles dipping a tea bag into a cup of tea when it is done in a repeated in-and-out motion.  As a form of non-penetrative sex, it can be done for its own enjoyment or as foreplay." The last paragraph of Wikipedia's definition of "tea bag" states, "In 2009, the right-leaning Tea Party movement formed in the United States, referencing the Boston Tea party for its name.  The appellation "teabagger" emerged, promting puns by both policitcally-opposed commentators and protestors based on its sexual connotation."

So I guess we should rest assured that the person responsible for allowing Mr. Parson's use of the word "tea bagger" or "bagger" seven times in his letter to the editor was aware of the origination and sexual innuendo of this phrase?

I can reassure you that if I submitted a letter to the editor with the above defition it would not be published.  So how does the Phoenix justify using the word of a defition they can't print in their own newspaper?

I don't know.  But I plan on asking the publisher on Monday.  And if he's not available, I'll make an appointment and let you know what he says.

No comments:

Post a Comment